The wind is becoming cooler each day, a pleasant reminder that Fall is just around the corner. My Pinterest feed is already loaded with Fall outfits, recipes, and decoration ideas. All of the Ole Miss students are back in town for classes this week and the tiniest sliver of red is breaking through the trees. I’m anticipating all the Fall feels right now. Leaves changing colors, pumpkins everywhere and in everything, cozy sweaters, warm beverages…
And yet Fall is not quite here. It’s still as hot as an armpit outside and no where near sweater weather. And although I really reeeeee-lly want pumpkin right now, it would not feel the same as waiting until the end of September or early October. So I must wait.
And as I wait for pumpkin and the arrival of Fall, I’m going to enjoy these vegan black bean tacos w/ pickled onions and pepita cream.
They are the perfect, refreshing meal for the end of summer. Black beans are a great lean protein option and also boast an impressive amount of fiber and antioxidants (due to their dark color). I love filling my salads, wraps, tacos, and soups with black beans because I know they will keep me full and energized throughout the day.
Here are just a few notes I have on making these tacos:
- If you don’t feel like going through one more step to make the pepita cream, just add the ingredients to your tacos (pepitas, avocado, cilantro, lime) and they will taste just as great!
- Cabbage or shredded iceberg lettuce would also be great with these tacos
- If you’re not vegan and you want to add sour cream or cheese, go for it!
- For the black beans:
- 2 (15.25 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the pepita cream:
- ¼ cup pepitas
- ½ avocado
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- For the quick-pickled red onions:
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- Everything else:
- 8 corn tortillas
- brown rice
- tomatoes, chopped
- To make the quick-pickled red onions, sauté onions in oil for 1-2 minutes (they should still be crispy).
- To a canning jar or small bowl add sugar, salt, and vinegar. Mix well with a whisk to combine.
- Add sauteed onions to pickle ingredients and let sit and marinate while making the black beans.
- For the black beans, add garlic and 1 tablespoon canola oil to a skillet and sauté until fragrant (1-2 minutes).
- Add black beans, smoked paprika, onion powder, chili powder and salt.
- Give the bean mixture a good stir and heat through.
- To make the pepita cream, combine all ingredients to a blender and blend on high until combined.
- Heat tortillas on grill pan or skillet until lightly browned.
- To each tortilla add black beans, brown rice, pickled onions, pepita cream, tomatoes and cilantro (plus any other favorite taco toppings). Serve and enjoy!