Vegetarians and vegans rejoice! Ceviche is no longer off the menu for you and I have an incredibly delicious vegan ceviche recipe to prove it!
Several days ago, it occurred to me how similar in shape cashews are to shrimp. That moment somehow led me to the conclusion that vegan ceviche made with cashews would be revolutionary. And I’m absolutely convinced it is.
After becoming mostly vegetarian, I’ve realized most meat-based meals/dishes can be vegetarian-ized or vegan-ized. Meats are pretty tasteless to begin with, requiring sauces and spices to bring them to life. I can’t say the same for butter and cheese (#thestruggleisreal), but meat can easily be replaced with vegetables, grains, or nuts.
So that’s how I approached this recipe. It contains all the classic ceviche ingredients except for raw fish or shrimp. And this vegan cashew version is just how ceviche should taste: citrusy with hints of onion, cilantro, avocado and tomato. Served with crispy tortilla chips, it will just about turn your world upside down!
Here is a quick overview of the process for those of you who are curious:
- Cashews must soak in boiling water for about 1 hour in order to soften them. This gives the cashews less of a crunchy texture and more of a meaty texture.
- The cashews are then marinated in citrus juices (lime + orange), onion and serrano pepper for another hour. Instead of using the citrus juices to “cook” the cashews like they do with raw fish, they provide an excellent marinade that soaks into the cashews and fills them with flavor.
- The remaining ingredients are mixed until well combined and it’s ready to eat with tortilla chips!
- 8 ounces raw cashews
- juice of 2 limes
- juice of 1 orange
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, quartered and halved
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Add cashews to a medium size bowl and cover them with boiling water. Let soak for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse cashews after soaking. Place them back in bowl.
- Next, add lime juice, orange juice, red onion and serrano pepper to the cashews. Stir to combine and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- After marinating, take cashews out of the refrigerator and add the avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, olive oil, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately with tortilla chips. Keeps in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Looking for more vegan recipes? Check out my vegan recipes archive! And if you make a recipe, don’t forget to tag me @simplenaturalnutritionbykim on Instagram so everyone can see!