There aren’t many lunches out there I could eat every single day of my life. Only a few exceptions come to mind, and one of those is this pecan-crusted sweet potato bowl. It fits ANY food mood I’m in for the week, which says a lot since I’m moody when it comes to choosing my lunches. Just ask my husband.
But I firmly believe you can’t go wrong with sweet potatoes, quinoa, kale, avocado, and a hard-boiled egg. And remember that Chipotle Peach Sauce I made a couple weeks back from the Chili Roasted Cauliflower Tacos?
Well, turns out it also makes a stellar accompaniment to these bowls!
So, not only are these sweet potato bowls crunchy, creamy and satisfying, but they also make the perfect packed lunch (aka: lunch you can take to work, class, picnic, etc). Now for a packed lunch to fit my standards, there are a few criteria that must be met.
And here they are:
Criteria for a perfect packed lunch
- Provide a hefty amount of vitamins, healthy fats, plant-based protein, and fiber.
- Fit in one container.
- Taste good enough to eat 5 days out of the week.
- Keep me full until dinner.
- Not have a strong odor (*optional: if I’m eating with others).
Tough rules, I know. But these sweet potato bowls meet ALL of them. It takes a little bit of prep work at the beginning, but once all the ingredients are prepped the rest of the week is simply adding everything to a bowl or container.
So what are some of your favorite packed lunches? I would love to hear!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, outer skins peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 4 handfuls kale (about half a bundle), washed and chopped
- 2 avocados
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- For Chipotle Peach Sauce:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons peach puree
- 4 teaspoons chipotle sauce
- Sprinkle of Mrs. Dash seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (F).
- Peel, rinse and chop sweet potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Add to a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, combine pecans, smoked paprika, parsley, salt and pepper. Pulse until coarse crumbles form.
- Top sweet potatoes with oil and pecan mixture. Mix well with hands or a spoon to combine.
- Roast sweet potatoes at 400 F for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan bring 2 cups water and 1 cup quinoa to boiling over high heat. Once boiling, turn down heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked quinoa to chopped kale leaves and toss with hands or a spoon to combine.
- To make chipotle peach sauce, combine mayonnaise, peach puree, and chipotle sauce to a small bowl and stir with a spoon until combined.
- To assemble bowls, add quinoa/kale, sweet potatoes, 1 hard-boiled egg cut in half, ½ an avocado, then top with several drizzles of chipotle peach sauce and a sprinkle of Mrs. Dash seasoning.
If you decide to make these pecan-crusted sweet potato bowls, don’t forget to take a picture and tag me @unrefinedrd on Instagram so I can see!