You know those moments in life where a simple truth you’ve known for years suddenly hits your heart and shakes you to the core? This past week, after taking a couple days to retreat from life’s responsibilities, a simple truth finally moved from my head to my heart.
The message was this: find joy in the simplicity.
Sometimes I get so caught up in seeking joy in the extravagant that I fail to realize the simple joys right in front of me, like a cup of tea or a walk at the park. Searching for more and better will only lead to dissatisfaction and misery if joy cannot be found in simplicity. Often it takes a retreat from daily striving to have that aha moment.
Because of this, the simplest foods and recipes have re-ignited my love for food lately. As much as I enjoy creating and developing healthy recipes with unique ingredients (like beetroot lattes, sage tea, chia seeds, and hemp seeds), I’ve really enjoyed finding pleasure in simple recipes.
So, today on the blog I’m sharing a simple Massaged Kale Salad with Caprese Topping. There’s something so special about mixing extra virgin olive oil with balsamic vinegar and pouring it over tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, and basil. This salad is one that I truly enjoy serving for gatherings or a quick and easy lunch. The combination is lovely.
Now if you’ve never heard of massaged kale, the basic steps are adding oil to kale leaves and then using your hands to massage the oil onto the kale. It’s quite a fun process and the kale leaves become softer as a result.
Kale is the perfect leafy green for prepping salads ahead of time. Because of kale’s tough texture, it doesn’t wilt as quickly as spring lettuces and spinach. What that means for you is this salad can be made in advance without worrying that it will become inedible after a couple hours in the fridge (yay!). In fact, this salad will keep up to 2-3 days.
After prepping the kale, the next step is making the caprese salad. This is easily made by combining cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella pearls, and fresh basil covered in a balsamic/olive oil dressing. And it’s done! It is that simple, friends!
In my opinion, the best part of this salad is sharing it with others and seeing the look of enjoyment on their faces, all the while knowing it took only 10 minutes to make!
- 4 cups kale leaves, washed and stems removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup fresh mozzarella pearls
- ¼ cup fresh basil, julienne sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- dash of salt and pepper
- To a large bowl, combine kale leaves, garlic, and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Using your hands, massage oil onto kale leaves until the kale is thoroughly coated. Set aside.
- To a small bowl, combine tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, and basil leaves.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- With a spoon, stir caprese mixture together until the olive oil and vinegar are well distributed.
- Before serving, add caprese topping to kale leaves and garnish with fresh basil and croutons if desired.
- This salad will keep in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 days.
As always, if you make a recipe don’t forget to tag me @unrefinedrd on Instagram and use the hashtag #unrefinedliving so I and everyone else can see you getting your healthy on!