Lattes have always been intertwined in the special occasions of my life. There is something celebratory about them for me. Because my daily beverages are water and unsweet tea or coffee, lattes are an exception to the rule and must be savored and mindfully enjoyed. It is THE beverage of choice for date nights with my husband, family vacations, and – I must confess – sometimes just for getting out of the house with my two-year-old.
So to celebrate Valentine’s this year, I’m sharing this celebratory ginger beetroot latte. Did you know beetroot powder can be made into a latte?! I didn’t until I saw this beautiful picture by Mind Body Green on Instagram, which inspired this creation. I’m so glad beets are cool nowadays. I have always loved these red-violet, earthy roots. One of my fondest memories is canning beets with my nana. In the late summer we would spend an entire day washing and canning while talking about the latest family news or what was happening in our little town. Needless to say, beets bring back all the good feels.
Health Benefits of Beets
Here are just a few reasons to add a beetroot latte to your daily jam:
- Enhance exercise performance – because beetroot contains high amounts of nitrate, this can be converted to nitric oxide during times of low oxygen availability (i.e. exercise) which in turn enhances exercise performance and endurance. (source)
- Reduce inflammation – beets are a unique source of betaine which, according to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, has been shown to help fight inflammation in the body.
- Improve blood flow – nitric oxide, which comes from nitrate, relaxes and dilates blood vessels to help blood flow more easily throughout the body. In a randomized trial, supplemental beetroot juice even lowered blood pressure by 4-5 points. (source)
The beetroot powder I use is from Nature Restore, which I purchased through Amazon here. This ginger beetroot latte is incredibly simple to make. There is no requirement for fancy equipment, just a few measuring glasses, a whisk and a mug. If you try it, don’t forget to snap a picture and tag me @simplenaturalnutritionbykim on Instagram. I would love to see!
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ cup steamed milk of your choice
- 1 teaspoon beetroot powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons sweetener of your choice
- Add beetroot powder and ground ginger to a bowl or medium-large mug.
- Pour a small amount of the hot water over powder and whisk until forming a thick paste.
- Add sweetener and the rest of the hot water, whisking until the powder is completely dissolved.
- Finally, pour the hot steamed milk into the mug.
- Serve and enjoy!