The Cauliflower Phenomenon
Having spent most of my life in Texas, I have an insatiable appetite for Tex-Mex and authentic Mexican cuisine. One of my favorite foods from this cuisine is the oh so delicious taco. I believe taco toppings like avocado, cilantro, lime and chipotle peppers can transform even the toughest-to-love foods out there. For me, cauliflower is one of those especially tough foods. Bless its heart. This vegetable needs a lot of love to adequately prepare it for consumption. You can’t just serve it up by itself and expect everyone to go crazy. No, no, no. That’s where spices and sauces come in and work their magic.
No doubt cauliflower is the new “hipster” vegetable these days. Multiple mouthwatering cauli recipes on my Pinterest feed have opened my eyes to how versatile this sulfury vegetable can be. I’ve seen it transformed into rice, couscous, alfredo sauce, or even pizza dough…the sky is the limit!
So, I decided to take on the task of turning this bland vegetable into a dazzling meal so good you won’t even miss the meat. Meet my Chili Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Chipotle Peach Sauce.
Now, I know cauliflower tacos have already been done before…but not like this! Here’s how it goes down:
First, cauliflower florets are tossed in a chili spice rub of pecans (or another nut you have on hand), pumpkin seeds, chili powder, smoked paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. Then, it’s roasted until the ends become slightly charred.
Next, it’s piled on top of a corn tortilla and loaded with cilantro, red onions, avocado, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Finally – if that’s not already enough – a simple, 3-ingredient sauce consisting of mayo, chipotle sauce, and peach puree is drizzled over the entire mixture, resulting in the best tasting taco mess of your life. It will get everywhere – your mouth, your hands, your clothes…just everywhere. Napkins are a must! These cauliflower tacos are sure to be one of the most memorable tacos you’ve ever had.
If you try these – and believe me when I say they are a must try – don’t forget to snap a picture and tag me on Instagram so I can see!
- 1 head cauliflower, rinsed and cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- For the Mexican Spice Rub:
- ½ cup pecans
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- For the Chipotle Peach Sauce:
- ½ cup mayonnaise (vegan option: use vegan mayo)
- 4 teaspoons chipotle sauce
- 2 tablespoons canned peaches, rinsed and drained
- 2 avocados, cut into slices
- Cilantro, finely chopped
- Red onions, finely diced
- 1 lime, quartered
- 12 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (F).
- Make Mexican Spice Rub by combining all ingredients in a small blender or food processor and pulse until course, fine crumbles form. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Next rinse and cut cauliflower into florets, removing all but one inch of the stems. Place florets on a rimmed baking sheet. Toss with oil and all of the Mexican Spice Rub mixture.
- Next roast cauliflower at 400 F for approximately 20 minutes, or until cauliflower can be easily pierced with a fork and ends are slightly charred. Take out and let cool.
- While cauliflower is roasting, make peach puree for Chipotle Peach Sauce by adding 1 can drained and rinsed peaches to a blender. Blend on high until puree is formed.
- Next combine mayonnaise, chipotle sauce, and 2 tablespoons peach puree into a small bowl and stir to combine.
- To assemble street tacos: add roasted cauliflower to corn tortillas, then top with avocado slices, cilantro, red onions, lime juice, and chipotle peach sauce.
Looking for more taco recipes? Try my Black Bean Tacos with Quick-Pickled Onions and Pepita Cream or my Chicken Avocado and Bacon Tacos with Jalapeño Ranch Dressing.